Sew Colette: Meringue Muslin

Meringue Muslin frontThis weekend I managed to sew up part of my first Meringue skirt. I wasn’t too sure about the fabric at first, but to my surprise I am really liking the look of it so far. It’s a fairly heavy fabric, so it should hold the scallops nicely.

Anyway, let’s have a look at the fit. I’m quite happy with the overall fit, although I took a bit of a gamble by cutting a straight size 2 while my hips are actually a 6. The only adjustment I made to the pattern before even cutting the fabric is a swayback adjustment of 1cm, because I had to take out that length on my sloper at first too. To be sure I put my perfectly fitted skirt sloper on top of the pattern, and it promised to work out quite well. I am going to simply finish this one without any adjustments – I will get plenty of wear out of it anyway, but for the next version I will make the following changes:

Meringue Muslin side

  • Take out 2cm total at the waist. (0.5 cm on each of the darts).
  • Add a little bit of room between my waist and my hips. It has a tendency to pucker around my belly a bit because the skirt is a little tight there and ¬†wants to creep up.
  • Have a good look at the darts. As you can see in this side view They don’t really lie nicely at the points. I don’t know if it’s a problem with the darts, the fabric, my stitching or my pressing, but I hope to remedy it on a next version.
  • Not fit related, but I’m planning to make pockets and a waistband on the next version as well. Any interest in a tutorial on adding pockets to a basic skirt?

Speaking of tutorials, stay tuned for a tutorial on adding a lining to the Meringue skirt. I have taken practically all the pictures, so I hope to find some time to write it up before I leave for Paris on Thursday!

WIPs

How can more than a month fly by so quickly? I haven’t stopped sewing and knitting, but I have somehow completely forgotten to show you all about it.

Anyway, time to catch up! For this week’s Sew Weekly challenge I’m working on a sleeveless dress with piping around the neck and armholes. I’m using the same self-drafted base pattern as the black dress, with a few adjustments for a really perfect fit. I wasn’t sure if piping would count as embellishment, but after seeing Veronica’s lovely dress, I decided to go for it. I’m much, much farther along than this pic shows, so hopefully I’ll have finished pics tomorrow or possibly Monday.

I’ve also been working on Parfait, by Colette patterns. This was a wearable muslin from a thrifted bedsheet. It’s finished by now, but pictures will have to wait until I recruit that boy of mine to take them. I like it, but it is a little too small in the midriff and a little too big in the boobs. I’m definitely making another version though, because it is super cute!

Wednesday WIP

EmiliePattern: Emilie
Yarn: Wollmeise 100% in Magnolie Dark
(2 skeins, ca. 1100 m)
Needles: 2,75 mm & 3,5 mm

Verdict so far:
I love it! The colour is so beautiful, I don’t think the picture could ever do it justice. I’ve only got the sleeves to go and can’t wait to finish and wear it.

As far as the Sew Weekly challenge goes, I’ve taken my inspirational picture very loosely. It’ll probably be finished & photographed on Friday.