WIP: Birdseed cardigan

Birdseed Cardi 1

This is another one of those projects that has been hibernating for a long time. I’m embarrassed to admit how long… the last post I made about it is from September 2011. Anyway, clearly it was time to pick it up again and finally get towards that finish line. As you can see I’m a lot further than I was 1,5 years ago, but nowhere near finished. I’m almost done with the first sleeve.

The pattern is my own, and luckily I did keep track of all my numbers over the months, so I should be able to write the pattern for it as well. But don’t hold your breath on that one yet, because sleeves in fingering weight take LONG!

Birdseed Cardi 2

This close up really shows the stitch pattern. It’s just a simple knit/purl pattern, but it gives a beautiful texture. I’m kind of regretting picking Cascade Heritage Sock for it, because I can imagine how beautiful it would look in a semisolid.

Advertisements

WIP: Crocheted blanket

Crocheted Blanket

This blanket has been a WIP for over a year now. I only work on it every now and then, making a square here and there. I am absolutely loving how it is coming together, even if I’m only at 11 squares.

Pattern: Block 189 (Willow) from 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws and Afghans. I’ve adapted the pattern slightly, using double crochet wherever the pattern asks for a treble, and using single crochets for doubles. Initially this was a mistake, because who needs to read a pattern, but after a few squares I decided to stick with it.

Yarn: Cascade Eco Wool in colours 8010 (Natural)  and 9734 (Coral). I have two skeins of each and I hope that will give me a decent sized throw. After 11 squares, I’ve used about 210 grams of the natural, so I can probably get a total of 26 squares out of it, which is a rubbish number. It’s probably going to be 24, but if I’m lucky I might get to 28 or even 30 squares.

WIP: Agatha

Agatha2

Close up of the lace pattern on the back.

Agatha1

Blocked & ends woven in.

Agatha_buttons

All it needs are buttons.

Just a peek at what I’ve been working on lately. A full post with all the details will come soon, when the buttons are sewn on and proper modeled pictures are taken.

Sew Colette: Meringue Muslin

Meringue Muslin frontThis weekend I managed to sew up part of my first Meringue skirt. I wasn’t too sure about the fabric at first, but to my surprise I am really liking the look of it so far. It’s a fairly heavy fabric, so it should hold the scallops nicely.

Anyway, let’s have a look at the fit. I’m quite happy with the overall fit, although I took a bit of a gamble by cutting a straight size 2 while my hips are actually a 6. The only adjustment I made to the pattern before even cutting the fabric is a swayback adjustment of 1cm, because I had to take out that length on my sloper at first too. To be sure I put my perfectly fitted skirt sloper on top of the pattern, and it promised to work out quite well. I am going to simply finish this one without any adjustments – I will get plenty of wear out of it anyway, but for the next version I will make the following changes:

Meringue Muslin side

  • Take out 2cm total at the waist. (0.5 cm on each of the darts).
  • Add a little bit of room between my waist and my hips. It has a tendency to pucker around my belly a bit because the skirt is a little tight there and  wants to creep up.
  • Have a good look at the darts. As you can see in this side view They don’t really lie nicely at the points. I don’t know if it’s a problem with the darts, the fabric, my stitching or my pressing, but I hope to remedy it on a next version.
  • Not fit related, but I’m planning to make pockets and a waistband on the next version as well. Any interest in a tutorial on adding pockets to a basic skirt?

Speaking of tutorials, stay tuned for a tutorial on adding a lining to the Meringue skirt. I have taken practically all the pictures, so I hope to find some time to write it up before I leave for Paris on Thursday!

WIPs

How can more than a month fly by so quickly? I haven’t stopped sewing and knitting, but I have somehow completely forgotten to show you all about it.

Anyway, time to catch up! For this week’s Sew Weekly challenge I’m working on a sleeveless dress with piping around the neck and armholes. I’m using the same self-drafted base pattern as the black dress, with a few adjustments for a really perfect fit. I wasn’t sure if piping would count as embellishment, but after seeing Veronica’s lovely dress, I decided to go for it. I’m much, much farther along than this pic shows, so hopefully I’ll have finished pics tomorrow or possibly Monday.

I’ve also been working on Parfait, by Colette patterns. This was a wearable muslin from a thrifted bedsheet. It’s finished by now, but pictures will have to wait until I recruit that boy of mine to take them. I like it, but it is a little too small in the midriff and a little too big in the boobs. I’m definitely making another version though, because it is super cute!

Wednesday WIP

EmiliePattern: Emilie
Yarn: Wollmeise 100% in Magnolie Dark
(2 skeins, ca. 1100 m)
Needles: 2,75 mm & 3,5 mm

Verdict so far:
I love it! The colour is so beautiful, I don’t think the picture could ever do it justice. I’ve only got the sleeves to go and can’t wait to finish and wear it.

As far as the Sew Weekly challenge goes, I’ve taken my inspirational picture very loosely. It’ll probably be finished & photographed on Friday.