My apartment is tragically lacking in good, natural lighting – especially after 4ish in the afternoon. This made it hard to take good pics of the materials for my Phoebe Dress before I cut into it. The pic above is quite accurate when it comes to colours, so it will have to do for now. The purple is a lovely, medium weight silk twill, and the grey is a thinner silk to serve as the lining. I’ve been way too precious about these fabrics for much too long… they have been in my stash for probably three years. I thought they were from my 2013 Paris trip (the only reason I remember when that was, is that I blogged about it), but the post with all the fabrics from that trip does not contain these fabrics. To my great shame that means that this fabric is probably even a year older than this. To my even greater shame, looking back at that post made me realise that I haven’t used ANY of those fabrics.
Because I have 3 metres of the main fabric, and I’m no longer very attached to it, I’m not going to make a muslin. I did a quick tissue fitting to see if there were any major problems, but I think it will be alright. I will, however, baste the whole dress together for a fitting before stitching it properly.
Based on my measurements (34/27/38) I graded from a size 2 in the bust to a 4 in the waist and to a 6 in the hips. This dress will probably be way too fancy for any everyday occasion, but the other day I had to go to a fancy party, and realised that I got rid of almost all my dresses. Hopefully this will be a good addition to my closet again.
I’m not one for mystery knit-alongs, so I waited until all the clues were released to decide whether or not I wanted to knit Stephen West’s latest mystery shawl “Exploration Station”. After seeing a bunch of gorgeous versions pop up on Ravelry, it was time to make my own.
I’m using Hedgehog Fibres Sock in the colours Pollen (C), Crystal (D), Raven (A) and Rusty Nail (B) (clockwise from the top left in the picture above). This yarn is so gorgeous and soft, and an absolute joy to knit with so far. I’ve just started the brioche section today, so I expect it won’t take very long to finish at all!
Eep! The last two weeks have been very stressful and have really cut into my sewing time and mojo. But luckily the most pressing issue (that of a job after the summer) has been resolved, so now only my thesis remains as this continuous looming presence…
Anyway, I’ve managed to be quite productive on the thesis-front today, so I figured an hour or so of sewing would be fine. As you can see I don’t have much to show for my final Hawthorn yet, but it’s slowly and steadily getting there. Actually, seeing as I have changed the pattern so as not to have a peplum, I’m not even that far behind! I’m doing the version 2 sleeve, so I have another 3 days to get ready to set in the sleeve. Sewing the side seams somewhere in the next few days should be doable…
I’ve taken a trip to the fabric market and found my choices for the Hawthorn sew-along! All I’ve planned for now are two blouse versions, but I also have a black eyelet that would look lovely as the sleeveless dress version. It needs buttons and underlining though, so it might not be finished on time.
This is the “real” fabric. I fell for the bright coral colour immediately, even though it doesn’t really fit in my wardrobe. I guess you could call this one “frosting”. I might use the white ribbon for a waist stay or something… not sure yet. I’m also debating whether to go for the short sleeves or the cuffed ones. I love the cuffed ones, but thing it might look too prissy with this colour…
The navy on white dots will be my wearable muslin. It’s an amazing fabric, so I really hope that it fits, but since I already have a blouse made out of it (which somehow didn’t make the blog) it’s no big deal if it doesn’t.
I also have a big floral I’m unsure about. It’s white, navy and turqoise and I bought it on an impulse, but I don’t know if it’s suitable for this one… I guess it depends on how much I like the cut of the blouse to begin with. Peplums are a new thing for me, I usually tuck in all my shirts.
As of today, I’ve traced and cut the pattern, and am ready to start sewing my “muslin”. I cut a straight size 2, which matches my bust and waist exactly. Because it’s cut very wide at the hips, I decided not to grade up to my usual size 6 from the waist down. Here’s to hoping it fits right the first time around!
It’s May vacation! Which means I’ve finally got time to sew something for myself! For months I’ve mainly been working on a wedding dress for someone else (pictures will be there after the wedding, I hope!), so I’m really happy to get some me-sewing in as well.
Anyway, I wanted a cute little summer blouse. The pattern is from one of my old Burda Magazines (4/2007) and I think I bought the Swiss dot about a year ago, hoping to make a summer blouse for last summer… I traced a mix between sizes 36 and 38: A 36 in the shoulders, a 38 at the bust, a 36 in the waist and a 38 at the hips again. It seems to fit really well!
This is how far along I am now. I only need to finish the armholes and find some nice buttons. I’m thinking of just using plain white ones, but I’ll have to see what I have. Perhaps I’ll make the cap sleeves a bit shorter, they seem to stick out a bit too much. I’m not sure how exactly to wear it though. The front is double layered, so it’s not see-through there, but as you can see there is a little open bit below the bow which would show a bra…