Experiments in Dyeing

dyedyarnWhen I was at de Breidagen  a few weeks ago, somehow none of the yarn really wanted to come home with me. My bank account was about as happy as I was disappointed. The only things I bought were supplies – from Stof tot Verven –  to start dyeing my own yarn, and these three skeins are the result.

The dark blue one in the back was my first attempt. I didn’t do anything special, just some blue dye in a pot. It ended up looking kind of denim-like because some spots took a lot less dye than others. It’s not extra-ordinary, but I like it.

For the purple one in the middle I decided to try something different. I mixed up some purple dye and let the yarn sit on the heat for about half the necessary time before I sprinkled in some dry red dye. That I left to do it’s thing for a few minutes before stirring it in. The end result is a beautifully semi-solid reddish purple with some quite red spots.

The third skein is my favourite, even though I’m not normally a fan of orange. I was originally going for a soft coral, but as you can see I got BRIGHT orange instead. This one was dyed similarly to the purple one. I started with yellow, but instead of sprinkling dry red dye over it, I poured a dye solution over it. This is probably my favourite method, because the colours flow into each other beautifully. The skein goes from deep, reddish orange to some sort of golden yellow.

The only downside of this whole thing is that I decided to practice on a batch of undyed yarn that I got a few years ago and absolutely hated to knit with. So now I have yarn that I hate to knit with, only in gorgeous colours that I DO want to knit with… Perhaps I’ll try weaving with them. At least there the splittiness won’t be as much of a problem.

Advertisements

Paris Stash Enhancement

The photographs from Musée des Arts Décoratifs turned out blurry and dark, so instead I have for you a full account of all the fabrics I bought in Paris. There was a huge sale on coupons in one of the stores, so I splurged on quite a few silks that ended up being only around €5,- per meter. The only ones I didn’t take photos of are a black and steel gray silk. They’re not much to look at, but will make beautiful linings for some of the other silks.

If you want to see bigger pictures, just click on the thumbnail for a slideshow-like larger view of all the fabrics.

Quilting time

Tufted TweetsThis weekend I helped out my friend Malia from Penelope Craft at her booth at the Handwerkbeurs in Zwolle. The plan was to give you an elaborate overview of the fair, with lots of pictures, but of course I forgot to pack my camera. Getting up at 6:30 does that to a person…

My main score from the Handwerkbeurs was quilting related: a nice stack of purple and green prints from the Tufted Tweets series. I also got green, purple, gray and white solids to combine into a big quilt for the new bed I’m planning to buy soon. I’m not completely sure what it’s going to look like, but I’m leaning towards the “Birdbath” quilt from Elizabeth Hartman’s (Oh, Fransson!) book The Practical Guide to Patchwork. I  don’t have a photo of it, but it’s about halfway down on the publisher’s page. I’m going to play around on the computer with a few different possibilities before deciding.

In the mean time I’ve also finally finished all the blocks for my very first quilt ever: The Mod Sampler Quilt, which unfortunately is offline from Oh, Fransson! for now.

Mod Sampler QuiltI used 6 bright solids and 6 different black and white prints, but when arranging the blocks that proved much to busy until I decided to take out all the red blocks. I like it a lot better now, and can’t wait to put the quilt top together. It will turn out a bit smaller than the original though, because I will only use 5×5 blocks on the top instead of 5×6. If I can do math as well as I think I can, it should be about 140×140 cm when finished.