Paris

I haven’t been sewing for my Summer Essentials Challenge yet, because I have been in Paris for the past week. What I did do is fabric shopping (I went for the blue-yellow plaid); book shopping (I’m finally going to tackle Ulysses); visiting everything that needs to be visited while wearing hand-made clothes.


The dress in the bottom two pictures is what I made for the Sew Weekly “Embellish” challenge. All the posed pictures turned out rather silly, so I’m afraid this is all I have to offer for now.

Fabric: 2,5 m Joel Dewberry Chestnuts
Notions: Piping, invisible zipper, lace for the hem.
Pattern: Self-drafted
Cost: €5,- because the fabric was a gift.
Wear again: As you can already tell: YES!

Advertisements

WIPs

How can more than a month fly by so quickly? I haven’t stopped sewing and knitting, but I have somehow completely forgotten to show you all about it.

Anyway, time to catch up! For this week’s Sew Weekly challenge I’m working on a sleeveless dress with piping around the neck and armholes. I’m using the same self-drafted base pattern as the black dress, with a few adjustments for a really perfect fit. I wasn’t sure if piping would count as embellishment, but after seeing Veronica’s lovely dress, I decided to go for it. I’m much, much farther along than this pic shows, so hopefully I’ll have finished pics tomorrow or possibly Monday.

I’ve also been working on Parfait, by Colette patterns. This was a wearable muslin from a thrifted bedsheet. It’s finished by now, but pictures will have to wait until I recruit that boy of mine to take them. I like it, but it is a little too small in the midriff and a little too big in the boobs. I’m definitely making another version though, because it is super cute!

Sew Weekly: Kidding around

Gingham dress 2This week the Sew Weekly took us back in time to when we had no say about what we wore. I took this photo from 1992 as inspiration.

When I was little, I almost exclusively wore clothes sewn by my mother. She hasn’t sewn in years now, but I really wanted to sew a dress inspired by something she made for me almost 20 years ago.

Pattern: Some Vogue sewing pattern. I can’t find online and I don’t know where mine is.
Fabric: Simple cotton gingham.
Notions: Invisible zipper
Cost: Don’t remember, everything has been in my stash for way too long.
Wear again: Maybe. It doesn’t feel like it fits very well.

A little black dress

LBD & apron 2This week’s challenge over at the Sew Weekly was to create an apron and this black dress from Burdastyle to make it pop.

I cheated a bit, and didn’t make the dress everyone else did. I had my mind set on making a specific kind of black dress for a while and this week was just the kick in the pants I needed to finally draft it and sew it up.

Ever since I saw this lovely dress over at Modcloth I knew I wanted something similar but much less expensive. (I definitely succeeded in that; I only spent around 10% of the dress’ original price.)

This is the first time I’ve actually sewn a dress from a pattern I have drafted myself and I am very happy about it, although it is a bit too formal for everyday wear. Anyone having a cocktail party any time soon?

LBD

Pattern: Drafted by me.
Fabric: Two layers of thin black cotton. €10 for 3,5m
Notions: Invisible zipper. €3
Time: around 8 hours
Wear again: Definitely, although I need  more formal events first.

As always you can click on the pictures to go to my flickr page and see more/bigger pics.

Lessons in Apron-sewing

sew weekly apron
What I learned today:

  • Aprons are quick, fun and easy.
  • Upholstery weight fabric is MUCH too heavy and will make you look like you’re almost due. (Trust me on this, there is a reason I didn’t include a side view)
  • An apron without pockets is kind of annoying.

For this week’s Sew Weekly challenge we’re aprons and a little black dress. I’m cheating a little bit on the dress though. The plan is that everyone makes the same BurdaStyle dress, but since I have just finished a muslin for a black dress I’ve drafted, I’m just going to make that one.

 

Stats:

  • Fabric: All IKEA left-overs I still had around from a bag I sewed last year (around 1,5 m in total)
  • Time: 3 hours altogether.
  • Wear/Use again: Maybe if I am really in need of an apron.