We interrupt your regularly scheduled Hawthorn sewing posts with a tiny not-really-sewing post! (I have cut out my final version of that now, but a pile of cut pieces isn’t the most interesting, is it?)
Yesterday I found a little package from Threadless in my mailbox. Usually I’m not one for funny printed T-shirts, but how could I resist this one?
Do you have any shirts with sewing (or other craft) themed prints on them?
Because I’ve got my heart set on making the blouse version first, I’ve scoured the internet for nice peplum blouses to combine into one perfect one! Here’s a selection. Perhaps you’ll feel inspired too! (And by “scouring the internet” I mean typing “peplum blouse” into the Pinterest search bar.)
Right now, I’m thinking of doing lace on the yoke and sleeves, and probably making the whole thing mustard coloured. Or perhaps I’ll go for dots, or something else, or whatever I find on the market Saturday!
Mixing transparent and opaque fabrics?
From Honey mi Honey, but I couldn’t find it on their website anymore.
Another take on the lace yoke/sleeves.
No idea where this one’s from… People on Pinterest aren’t great with linking to the original source.
I have a thing for mustard, and lace…
Can’t go wrong with dots, but perhaps a bit safe?
A Lauren Conrad blouse, if the info was correct.
Progress! I’ve almost finished piecing the top of the Mod Sampler Quilt. It only needs the outermost row of sashing, and then it’s on to the back. I have no idea what I’m going to do about that yet, because I have the same block (in 5 different colours) left.
They are very simple blocks, half solid-half print. Perhaps I’ll cut them up to make a stripe of 5cm colour/print and 5 cm white alternated, with white around and then solids. I was thinking green or blue and their corresponding prints. Suggestions?
Almost everyone has that one piece of clothing that never fits properly. For me it’s mainly trousers and fitted skirts. My hips are 1-2 sizes larger than my waist, so anything that fits properly around my hips and/or thighs will gape at the waist. My mom, on the other hand, hasn’t been able to find a nicely fitting blazer or jacket for a long, long, time. She has big boobs compared to her waist, so any blazer that fits the boobs will flop around at the waist.
This is where I can hopefully be of help. Between now and Mother’s Day (8th of May, which gives me exactly 9 weeks) I will make her a blazer that fits. We haven’t been able to find a ready-made sewing pattern she liked, so the added challenge is to draft the pattern from scratch.
Set made on Polyvore.com
The blazers above are kind of what I have in mind. Fitted and clean, with probably a contrast trim or ribbon around the edges. Later this week I’ll take all her measurements so I can start drafting a pattern,. Luckily she already knows of my plan, so there’s no need to be secretive about measuring and fitting.
This weekend I helped out my friend Malia from Penelope Craft at her booth at the Handwerkbeurs in Zwolle. The plan was to give you an elaborate overview of the fair, with lots of pictures, but of course I forgot to pack my camera. Getting up at 6:30 does that to a person…
My main score from the Handwerkbeurs was quilting related: a nice stack of purple and green prints from the Tufted Tweets series. I also got green, purple, gray and white solids to combine into a big quilt for the new bed I’m planning to buy soon. I’m not completely sure what it’s going to look like, but I’m leaning towards the “Birdbath” quilt from Elizabeth Hartman’s (Oh, Fransson!) book The Practical Guide to Patchwork. I don’t have a photo of it, but it’s about halfway down on the publisher’s page. I’m going to play around on the computer with a few different possibilities before deciding.
In the mean time I’ve also finally finished all the blocks for my very first quilt ever: The Mod Sampler Quilt, which unfortunately is offline from Oh, Fransson! for now.
I used 6 bright solids and 6 different black and white prints, but when arranging the blocks that proved much to busy until I decided to take out all the red blocks. I like it a lot better now, and can’t wait to put the quilt top together. It will turn out a bit smaller than the original though, because I will only use 5×5 blocks on the top instead of 5×6. If I can do math as well as I think I can, it should be about 140×140 cm when finished.