I’ve taken a trip to the fabric market and found my choices for the Hawthorn sew-along! All I’ve planned for now are two blouse versions, but I also have a black eyelet that would look lovely as the sleeveless dress version. It needs buttons and underlining though, so it might not be finished on time.
This is the “real” fabric. I fell for the bright coral colour immediately, even though it doesn’t really fit in my wardrobe. I guess you could call this one “frosting”. I might use the white ribbon for a waist stay or something… not sure yet. I’m also debating whether to go for the short sleeves or the cuffed ones. I love the cuffed ones, but thing it might look too prissy with this colour…
The navy on white dots will be my wearable muslin. It’s an amazing fabric, so I really hope that it fits, but since I already have a blouse made out of it (which somehow didn’t make the blog) it’s no big deal if it doesn’t.
I also have a big floral I’m unsure about. It’s white, navy and turqoise and I bought it on an impulse, but I don’t know if it’s suitable for this one… I guess it depends on how much I like the cut of the blouse to begin with. Peplums are a new thing for me, I usually tuck in all my shirts.
As of today, I’ve traced and cut the pattern, and am ready to start sewing my “muslin”. I cut a straight size 2, which matches my bust and waist exactly. Because it’s cut very wide at the hips, I decided not to grade up to my usual size 6 from the waist down. Here’s to hoping it fits right the first time around!
Because I’ve got my heart set on making the blouse version first, I’ve scoured the internet for nice peplum blouses to combine into one perfect one! Here’s a selection. Perhaps you’ll feel inspired too! (And by “scouring the internet” I mean typing “peplum blouse” into the Pinterest search bar.)
Right now, I’m thinking of doing lace on the yoke and sleeves, and probably making the whole thing mustard coloured. Or perhaps I’ll go for dots, or something else, or whatever I find on the market Saturday!
Mixing transparent and opaque fabrics?
From Honey mi Honey, but I couldn’t find it on their website anymore.
Another take on the lace yoke/sleeves.
No idea where this one’s from… People on Pinterest aren’t great with linking to the original source.
I have a thing for mustard, and lace…
Can’t go wrong with dots, but perhaps a bit safe?
A Lauren Conrad blouse, if the info was correct.
Oh my… when the going gets tough (or busy, more accurately) the blog most definitely does not get going. But it’s almost time for the summer holidays! (Which in my world is known as the “weeks of hellish thesis writing and translating a book”, but for now I’m pretending it is actually a holiday.)
Anyway! I’ve decided to give myself a kick in the pants, buy the latest Colette Pattern (Hawthorn) and participate in their sew-along. The pattern is gorgeous, but to be honest the magnificent selection of prizes gave me the final push! Tomorrow I’m going stash shopping to see if I have anything that is suitable and enough, or if I have to make a trip to the market next Saturday.
I’m probably going to make the blouse version first,and then a dress version with a pencil skirt. I have fabric lying around for at least 5 blouses and I need more separates!
I have managed to finish some pieces over the past weeks, so hopefully the weather will clear up a bit and I’ll be able to get some good pictures soon!
Nothing special this week, just two quick pairs of undies. I especially love the purple lace one. The edge of the lace around the legs means no panty lines!
I did get a new lingerie drafting book, which I’m planning to review some time next week.
Just a quick post to let you all know that I’m still around and still sewing. I’ve been a bit busy with school and job-related things, but because this Saturday is the last day of my lingerie sewing course I wanted to make something to show the teacher that I have actually learned something in the past year ;) And I definitely have! A year ago I would not have known where to begin with sewing a bra, and although I still have the occasional mishap (this one does not fit perfectly either) I’ve come a long way.
Anyway, on to the pieces! I’ve drafted both the panties and the bra, and they’re made with purple/gold mesh and gold lycra from Kantje Boord in Amsterdam. I got 0,5m of both fabrics, so these are not the last pieces you’ll see in this. I’ve already cut out one more bra and one more pair of panties, and have about 1/3 left. The undies fit very well, but I did have some trouble sewing with these two fabrics together because of the very different amounts of stretch/flimsiness. The mesh has about 30% stretch, but it’s very firm, while the lycra has about 50% stretch and is very flexible. The end results are fine, but next time I will make it a bit easier on myself by using fabrics that are a bit closer together.
There’s not that much to say about the bra. It has a vertical seam along the cup and the two halves are divided in purple and gold. The back has a purple triangle sewn into it – which was a pain in the ass to get right, but looks pretty cool!