Behold! My first sewing FO in a long time that is actually wearable. I’ve worn it twice since I finished it last Wednesday, and I see a few more Paxson sweaters in the future. The fabric is also lovely, even though it seems to be mostly synthetic. It’s a thin knit that is slightly heathered. It reminds me of those stylish men’s sweaters, which I can never find in a size small enough for me. They had the same fabric in dark red, petrol and brown, so I might go back for another colour. I used only 1,5 metres (at 150cm wide) instead of the 2 metres that the pattern stated.
However, the total process was much longer than the 1 hour it states on the website. My time spent was something more like this:
- Cutting, taping and tracing the printed pattern: 1 hour
- Cutting the actual fabric: 0,5 hour
- Fighting with my serger: 1,5 hours
- Actually sewing: 1,5 hours
Usually, most of my problems with any sewing machines are fixed by simply changing the needle, so I thought to be proactive and change out my serger needles before even beginning. After 1,5 hours of swearing at the machine – or as I referred to it by that point “piece of junk” – I decided in a fit of desperation to switch back to the old needles, and guess what: apparently the new needles were not exactly the correct type.
Anyway, once I got everything to work the actual sewing was fast and painless. I made a size S without any adjustments, and I’m very pleased with the fit. The only change I will make to any future versions is to lengthen the sleeves by approximately 2 cm because they are just a bit on the short side.
Overall verdict: Lovely sweater that will get a lot of wear! It was the perfect choice to get back into sewing.
Up next: Wearable muslin for the Grainline Studios Morris Blazer in a black stretch cotton.